Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Goodbye Enso, Hello Launchy

For the longest time, I have been using Humanised Enso as my launcher way back 2008.




At that time, launchers were not as popular today. There were only a limited number of launcher applications available so you have very few choices. Out of all the launcher options that I had, Enso was what caught my eye and I downloaded it to try it out.

And was it a joy to use. I was delighted by the fact that I don't need to use the tedious Start -> Programs Menu process anymore to access my applications. I can quickly access them with just a press of a button and typing the name of the application. Enso even has a "learn" feature where I can make it directly open folders, links, or portable applications by telling Enso to associate it with a word that I want. And most of all, it looks cool!

But the times has changed. While I was content using Enso, other launchers have tried catching up to Enso's features and succeeded.

Today, Enso's internal process of using shortcuts to access files is less efficient than indexing the filesystem. I also noticed that it was less responsive than the new competing launchers.

So I finally decided to try out other launchers. I quickly searched the internet for the best one out there and it was Launchy that was consistently suggested.




At first try, Launchy has these look and feel that is minimalistic. I also found out that you can navigate through your filesystem by just typing the path(very much like Unix/Linux filesystems), a feature I found very useful. We will see how Launchy fares against Enso(I will probably writing a review about it in a future blog post).

All in all, Enso has a good run but it is starting to show it's age. It was nice working with it but it is time to move on.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Programming and Computer Science

Powered by Blogger.